Monday, February 16, 2009

Vintage [Anything].


Mushrooms, originally uploaded by drew-o-rama.

I consider myself mostly a "girly-girl." I love pretty dresses, I have floral sheets, and my room is pink & white. I feel like I have a magnet in me that draws me to the shabby-chic section of any store, however...

There comes a time when "vintage-chic" turns into "wow-how-have-I-not-thrown-that-away-yet" chic.


No Concept
Originally uploaded by !Ms. Allison Wonderland


Don't get me wrong. I definitely like the "old-school" feel when it comes to certain pieces of furniture or artwork. However, many new-age hipsters and scenesters prefer to feel as if they live in a time capsule that hasn't been opened in 50 years. {Pictured right: Girl in hipster glasses (see below) with her new favorite thrift-store purchase.)


Smithy
Originally uploaded by drew-o-rama


These people like to buy the scariest, oldest, dust-ridden plates and pictures to line their shelves and walls, as if they were paying tribute to what our grandparents called the "golden years." I don't want to hate on this too much, but if I walk into your apartment and I can't distinguish whether a 22-year-old or an 88-year-old live there, we have a problem.

I rate this trend 3 out of 5 stars, because even though some of the things people buy are heinous to no end, they usually cost about 5 pennies.

★★★

If you still really like this style, check out some nicer places to find not-so-hideous stuff.

0 comments: